Every player is assigned a number, which has to appear on the front, back and shoulder or arms of his jersey. The NFL assigns numbers to players that align with his playing position to help game officials make sure that every player is lined up properly before each play.
- Quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers: 1–19
- Defensive backs: 1-49
- Running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs, and wide receivers: 1-49 and 80-89
- Offensive guards and tackles: 50–79
- Defensive linemen: 50–79 and 90–99
- Linebackers: 1–59 and 90–99