The NFL Legends Community, launched in 2013, set out to connect NFL Legends with one another, celebrate their accomplishments, mentor current players and support their community service.
Five years since its launch, the NFL Legends Community peer-to-peer model has fostered one of the strongest brotherhoods in professional sports. Legends add to their football legacy with off-the-field efforts that make a positive impact in communities across the country.
Here are a few ways the Legends Community serves, celebrates and engages Legends and their families:
- The NFL Lunch and Learn Series — held at the team-level and at NFL headquarters — introduces players to everything the Legends Community offers and provides a platform for their voices to be heard.
- The six-month NFL Legends Development program provides Legends the opportunity to gain business experience and exposure in the league office. Participants work in departments based on interest, skill, education and professional background.
- The Legends Community hosts an annual welcome event for new Legends and their families to meet with different NFL departments, The Trust, and the Player Benefits team to stay connected to the game.
- The Legends Community and NFL Management Council team created personal player benefits packages to distribute at all events. Customized packages allow Legends to see their benefits at a glance and connect them directly to the benefits team.
- Life After Football, a Thursday Night Football segment, highlights Legends’ post-playing accomplishments and charitable efforts.
NFL teams also embrace their Legends throughout the year.
- Arizona Cardinals – Initiated a comprehensive Alumni Benefits and Assistance Program to assist their Legends with getting the most out of their benefits packages.
- Atlanta Falcons – Provide a gameday presentation and pregame sideline experience for Legends to connect, engage and celebrate with their former teammates.
- Buffalo Bills – Partnered with the Houston Texans on a Bills Away Game Legends Lounge and hosted a Legends Brunch and Learn to celebrate the retirement of Thurman Thomas’ jersey number.
- Houston Texas – Hosted a Lunch and Learn about the Legends Community, The Trust, collectively bargained benefits and the Player Care Foundation. The Texans also worked with the New York Giants on a joint-Legends presentation of the Star of Courage Award to a Houston police officer.
- New York Giants – Initiated a Legends Development Internship Program that supports Legends’ transition to the workplace through leadership roles in scouting, sales, marketing, production, public relations and community relations.
- New York Jets – Hosted a Super Bowl III team celebration to honor the 1968 championship team. Events included a breakfast, breakdown of practice, a formal dinner, outreach to season ticket holders and a halftime speech by Joe Namath.