The NFL Owners voted to approve the following playing rules and bylaw proposals at the 2018 NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando.
1. By Competition Committee; Makes permanent the playing rule that changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line.
2. By Competition Committee; Changes standard for a catch.
3. Competition Committee; Makes the penalties for Illegal Batting & Kicking the same.
7. By Competition Committee; Authorizes the designated member of the Officiating department to instruct on-field game officials to disqualify a player for a flagrant nonfootball act when a foul for that act is called on the field.
9. By Competition Committee; Eliminates the requirement that a team who scores a winning touchdown at the end of regulation of a game to kick the extra point or go for two-point conversion.
10. By Competition Committee; In overtime, if the team that possess the ball first scores a field goal on its initial possession and the second team loses possession by an interception or fumble, the down will be permitted to run to its conclusion, including awarding points scored by either team during the down.
11. By Competition Committee; Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul.
APPROVED 2018 BYLAWS SUMMARY
1. By Competition Committee; Makes permanent the liberalization of rules for timing, testing, and administering physical examinations to draft -eligible players at a club’s facility.
2. By Buffalo; For one year only, amends Article XVII, Section 17.4 to liberalize the rule for reacquisition of a player assigned via waivers.
4a. By Competition Committee; Amends Article XVII, Section 17.16 to permit clubs to trade players from Reserve/Injured.
5. By Miami; Amends Article XVII, Section 17.1 to remove the requirement that a non-vested player be placed on waivers to be removed from the 90-player roster prior to the roster reduction to 53 players.
6. By Minnesota; Amends Article XVIII, Section 18.1 to replace the 10-day postseason claiming period with a 24-hour period.
9. By Competition Committee; A player who is designated for return is eligible to be activated after eight games, not eight weeks.
10. By Competition Committee; Lengthens the period to execute an Injury Settlement from five business days to seven business days.
11. By Competition Committee; Changes the deadline to reinstate players from certain Reserve List categories.
12. By Competition Committee; Updates Reserve/Military List procedures to reflect the current League calendar.
G-5. By Competition Committee; For one year only, permits an interested club to contact a Vested Veteran before clubs have been notified of the player’s termination via the Player Personnel Notice if (i) the players is not subject to the Waivers System and, (ii) the employer club has publicly announced the player’s release.